You can configure Stripe to be in test mode or live mode. While Live mode is used to collect real credit card information and process real payments, test mode is useful during initial development of your site as it enables you to test everything by using a test credit card and without spending real money.
There are three main steps you need to take to in order to configure Stripe for testing within MemberMouse. The first is to indicate that you want to be in test mode, the second is whether you want to use Stripe.js or not and the third is to obtain the test API keys from Stripe and paste them into MemberMouse.
Obtaining the Stripe API Key
- Log into Stripe.com.
- In the main Dashboard screen, you'll see a menu on the lefthand side. Select API from that menu. The API page will load.
- While on the API page, click on the View Test Data slider button in the lefthand side menu. This will bring up your API Test Keys.
Copy the Test Publishable Key and Test Secret Key from the Token column.
Configuring Stripe in Test Mode:
- From your WordPress Dashboard go to MemberMouse > Payment Settings and click on the Payment Methods tab.
- Under Onsite Payment Method, select Stripe. This will display the Stripe configuration options.
Click the check box next to Enable Test Mode to indicate that you want to process credit cards and payments in test mode.
the checkout form being submitted, so credit card information never touches your server. As a result merchants may qualify for a less rigorous PCI-DSS SAQ by using Stripe.js (SAQ A-EP vs SAQ A). Stripe.js is the recommended method to use.
Paste the Stripe Test Secret Key in the field labelled Test Secret Key.
[Only if using Stripe.js] Paste the Stripe Test Publishable Key in the field labelled Test Publishable Key.
- Click the Save Payment Methods button.
Your site is now ready to start accepting test credit card payments and processing them through your Stripe account.
Making Test Purchases
You can make test purchases the same as you would make live purchases. The only difference is that you'll need to use specific test card numbers defined by Stripe. You can find those test card numbers in the Stripe configuration area on the Payment Methods tab by clicking the Test Credit Card Numbers link.
You can use the following test credit card numbers when testing payments. The expiration date must be set to the present date or later:
- Visa: 4242424242424242
- Visa: 4012888888881881
- Mastercard: 5555555555554444
- Mastercard: 5105105105105100
- American Express: 378282246310005
- American Express: 371449635398431
- Discover: 6011111111111117
- Discover: 6011000990139424
- Diners Club: 30569309025904
- Diners Club: 38520000023237
- JCB: 3530111333300000
- JCB: 3566002020360505
Using Test Data
MemberMouse also allows you to specify test data for all common fields that need to be filled out when making a purchase. When you specify test data, MemberMouse will automatically populate the fields of checkout forms with the data you've provided which significantly speeds up your testing process. Read this article to learn how to set up and use test data.