Often times you will want to incentivize your members to upgrade from one membership level to another. When that happens (or if they downgrade) then MemberMouse will prorate the cost of the member's previous membership level, and apply the remaining balance towards the purchase of the new transaction.
Prorating A Membership Subscription
Here is an example of a prorated transaction
- Customer purchases Membership A, which has a $99 recurring subscription per month. When they make this purchase, they are charged $99 immediately.
- After 10 days, the customer decides to upgrade to Membership B, which has a $200 recurring subscription per month.
- When the customer visits the checkout page for Membership level B, they still have 20 days left of Membership A that they have paid for (assuming a 30-day month). This means they have only utilized $33 of their initial charge, and have $66 remaining.
- The $66 they have remaining will be applied to the purchase of Membership level B. This will make the purchase of Membership B only be $134. This discount will be displayed on the checkout page if the
MM_Form_DataSmartTag (more on that SmartTag here) is displayed on the checkout page.
The discount is applied immediately to the new product purchase. This prorated discount is also displayed in the Member Details transaction log and activity log.
In order for a proration to be applied the following must be true:
- The member must have an active subscription associated with their current membership.
- The charge to be prorated must be billed immediately at the time of upgrading/downgrading (i.e. the new membership cannot have a free trial).
- Proration can only be applied to membership levels, not bundles.
If you activated and installed MemberMouse prior to version 2.1.2, then you will need to manually enable Prorating Membership Subscriptions using the steps below. Otherwise, proration is enabled by default. Below are the steps to enable and disable prorating:
- In the MemberMouse menu click on Checkout Settings.
- Click on the Other Settings tab.
- Click the check box to indicate you want Prorate Membership Subscription on Upgrade/Downgrade to be enabled: